Chapter 1: What is Crucial Communication?
Chapter 2: Mastering Crucial Conversations Through the Power of Dialog
- Explains the pool of shared meaning.
- Pool of shared meaning is the birthplace of synergy.
Chapter 3: Start with Heart: How to Stay Focussed on What You Really Want
- The first principle of dialog: start with Heart.
- If you can’t get yourself right, you’ll have a hard time getting dialogue right.
- Refuse the Sucker’s choice
Chapter 4: How to Notice When Safety is at Risk?
- The first condition of safety is Mutual Purpose.
Chapter 5: How to Make it Safe to Talk About Almost Anything?
- 3 tactics to help rebuild mutual respect or mutual purpose:
- Apologize when appropriate
- Contrast to fix misunderstanding
- CRIB to get mutual purpose
- Commit to see mutual purpose
- Recognize the purpose behind the strategy
- Invent a mutual purpose
- Brainstorm new strategies
Chapter 6: Master Your Stories: How to Stay in Dialog When You are Angry, Scared or Hurt?
- This chapter explores how to gain control of crucial conversations by learning how to take charge of your emotions.