About Rian Van Der Merwe
For those of you do not know Ryan is all you need to do it Google him . He is all over the Internet because of the sheer value he provides to the world through his prolific writing on everything around products. His posts in Quora have tens of thousands of views.
Questions for Rian Van Der Merwe
- Tell us a bit about your career progression.
- The theme of discussion today is product management in startups. And I see a growing prevalence of hiring PMs in startups. Why do you think startups need a product management function. Aren’t CEOs/cofounders supposed to handle it in a startup?
- At what stage of a startup growth should you hire your first product manager? What is the expected of him ?
- What do you do first as a Product Manager in a startup? Where do you focus your energy?
- When do you hire the second PM and then a team of PMs?
- What are the biggest challenges of introducing Product Management into a startup?
- How do you build trust quickly with a team who might be skeptical about the Product Management role?
- How do you introduce process into a team that is used to be scrappy, and how do you know what level of process is appropriate?
- I have been asking to PMs who are new into their roles about their first 100 day plan. I have had a podcast with Gopal Shenoy who made some great points about being very intentional about planning your first 100 days. I even wrote a Linkedin post gathering all my thoughts from various different sources. But that plan varies according to the size of the organization? What are your thoughts around it? You too have just moved into a new organization. what does your runway look like?
- What about distributed teams? Is it difficult to be a Product Manager on a remote team? What are some things that can make that easier?
- You have written a very popular article titled “How to avoid building products that fail”, which is supposedly an excerpt from your book. Do you want to summarise that?
- What are some of the vital skills you think a product manager can’t do without.
- First 90 days for product managers on Quora
- Rian on Smashing Magazine
- Standup Geekbot
- The Art of Public Thinking by Clive Thompson